Thursday, February 26, 2015

The King's Shadow (Week 7: Storytelling)

There were two brothers—
Together they flowed,
Together they travelled,
On the same road.
One was the king,
The other his shadow,
Behind his radiant half,
Forever aglow.
With the king he remained true,
With the king he stuck fierce,
Like a silent shadow,
The king’s enemies he did pierce.
And in all their time together,
He never faltered nor did he fade,
For his loyalty was unrivaled,
Till his last moment came.

My brother, the king thought,
It may not often appear,
How much you mean to me,
How much I hold you dear.
Like when I was exiled,
You need not have done so,
But without any hesitation,
You, too, said you’d go.
And leaving the comforts
Of our family, our home,
For fourteen long years,
With me, you would roam.
You think I’d not noticed?
I may not have shown.
But on that dark day,
My love for you had grown.

My brother, we’ve been through
Many hurdles and tests,
And sometimes what feels
Like never-ending quests.
That one time, for example,
Where Ravana came,
And took my sweet wife,
With no care and no shame.
It was then I felt lost,
But wasn’t consumed by fear,
For through those restless nights,
You were always near.
And with me you were,
As we stormed through the lands,
Till the very moment,
She returned safe into my hands.

My brother, your loyalty
Always leaves me inspired.
No matter what I ask,
You never grow tired.
Even the hardest of tasks,
Like Sita’s exile to the river,
Had you conflicted,
But you did deliver.
All that way you took her,
And with her, I’m sure you wanted to stay,
For you have a good heart,
One that does not sway.
I’m sorry for the pain
I may have caused you,
But my faith and my trust
Have multiplied by two.

My brother, the king smiled,
Your spirit I admire.
In you there burns
A passionate fire.
Your strength held steady,
Even on your last day,
When Time came to visit,
And made you his prey.
I wish you looked back,
After I dealt you the news,
That you’d entered our meeting,
So through death pay your dues.
But silently you left,
Without a single protest.
I’ll never forget you;
You were the best.

Lakshmana, the shadow,
Knew all this in heart.
He felt all that his brother thought,
When they both did forever part.
And with his last breath,
Lakshmana lay beside the water,
And peacefully rested,
And let his mind wander.
And slowly death's arms took him,
Leaving only memories of his face,
The king’s brother, his shadow,

Now gone without a trace.


Author's Note: I just wanted to write a poem to commemorate Lakshmana's death at the end of Buck's Narayana. Time had come to see Rama and requested to have a meeting with him. He had told Rama not to let anyone interrupt their meeting otherwise that person would die, so Rama told Lakshmana to guard the door. In that time, a sage came and threatened Lakshmana to let him see Rama or else he would destroy the city. Lakshmana then had to interrupt the meeting and as a result, die.  

I always had an appreciation for the love Lakshmana had for Rama and how much he cared for his brother. It was something I admired and so felt it fitting to have my final story for the Ramayana be one to show how much Lakshmana meant to me. The first and last paragraph of this poem is just a beginning and a closing not from anyone's perspective, but all the paragraphs in between I wrote from Rama's perspective. This poem was one I wanted to write from Rama to Lakshmana to show that Rama, too, appreciated all that his brother did for him. This is what I felt Rama wanted to say as Lakshmana was walking away towards his death after entering Rama's conference with Time. When Rama told Lakshmana, he didn't say a word and left but I wanted to convey his feelings and this is what I thought might have been running through his head at the time. His ending is one I was the most sad about; his loyalty and love for his brother really touched me.

I didn't change anything about the story; I basically just wrote out all the main scenes Lakshmana played a part in a poem format. 


Bibliography: Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way.


Lakshmana: the great warrior
Source: Blogspot

8 comments:

  1. Hi Khadija! This is a really great poem. I also appreciate Lakshmana as a character, and I wish Rama had shown more acknowledgement throughout the story, but alas. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy task writing a long rhyming poem, and you did a wonderful job! The third stanza is my favorite because it outlines a lot of the significant things Lakshmana did for Rama. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beat me to it! I recently thought about writing a poem for one of my storytelling posts! So glad you took this approach because you did a great job with it! I give you even more props for having your poem rhyme. I really like the second and fifth stanzas. You made it very clear that the brothers loved each other and that Rama appreciated all that Lakshmana had done for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Khadija! What an amazing story. I have never seen a poem story told yet in this class. I bet it was so hard trying to figure out some words that rhymed with each other, and Rama had a great relationship between each other. It was sad to see him die in the book. Thank you for letting us tap into your mind for a brief second to understand you were thinking and process for creating this poem. There were some nice touches that you had in the story that made it more creative. This is off topic, but have you ever had to write a poem before, or do you do it on a normal basis? I am wondering because your choice of words for your poem are so good I don’t think I could even come close to trying to write a story and a poem at the same time. What a great job you did, and it is my favorite story in your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Khadija, what an incredible poem! This is the first poem I have read/ seen from anyone in class, and you did an amazing job! It was a really unique way to retell this story. First off, I really enjoyed your writing style. It was very clean and concise which made reading the poem very easy. Also, I enjoyed your word choice. I was able to clearly understand where Rama was coming from and how he felt about Lakshama. Rama and Lakshama had been through so much together, and I agree with you that they did love each other. It seems impossible that as Lakshama was walking towards his death Rama would not tell Lakshama how he felt about him. I think that your version of what Rama would have been feeling is right on the money! There is no doubt that Lakshama had truly been there for Rama through everything, and Rama knew that. Lastly, I do not know much about grammar and punctuation when it comes to poems, but I think you did a very good job. Your story kept enough of the original, but you also added your own personal touches. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Khadija!

    I’m so glad you decided to write about Lakshmana. He was one of my favorite characters because I was so impressed by his undying loyalty and affection for his brother. Even when he disagreed with Rama he ultimately followed him blindly.

    The only event I wish you included in your story was when Lakshmana saved Sita from Shurpanakha because that was a big moment in the epic. Still I understand how that would be hard to include in a poem. Kudos to you by the way, this is the first poem I have read from everyone in this class and I really enjoyed it.

    I’m also happy that you told the poem from Rama’s point of view because he has so MUCH to thank Lakshmana for. I’m also glad that you included the symbolism that Lakshmana was his shadow. I definitely got that impression when reading the Ramayana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Khadija! I am just amazed by your poem. I've never came across a story which was written in poem. Your rhyme and the flow of the poem was just great! I think poem makes the story more intimate and emotional compared to a narrative. Your imagery and the emotions included in the poem was just so touching. I would've never thought of writing a poem of the epics, but you did an awesome job !

    I think it was nice how you gave a little introductory and a closing part to your poem so that the reader will have a general idea of overall story. The poem truly shows how Rama cared for his brother, Lakshmana, and how thankful he was for him. My favorite line from your poem was "But on that dark day,
    My love for you had grown." The line was so deep. I enjoyed reading your Author's note because you were able to describe why you wrote this as a poem and your personal view of the brotherhood Rama and Lakshmana had. I love the picture too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Khadija! You did such an amazing job with this poem! Through out both versions of Ramayana we read, I loved Rama and Lakshmana's relationship. There's only been a couple of other people I've seen this semester that have done a poem for a storytelling post, so it's always so cool and unique to read one.

    Your poem was beautifully crafted and flowed so smoothly. It was so easy to read and it really painted the scene and the brother's relationship in an artistic but simple way. The analogy of Lakshmana being Rama's constant shadow was perfect and really showed their close relationship. You also cover so much of the story so well, beginning with the exile and going through Lakshmana's death.

    I didn't notice any grammar or punctuation mistakes. The entire poem was well written and very clear. This was such a great post to include in your portfolio. Really amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Khadija! You did such a great job with this poem and I'm really impressed! I didn't see any mistakes, and very easy to read. This is seriously a beautiful poem and it shows how deep Lakshmana and Rama's relationship was. This poem was really a great tribute to Lakshmana and I'm really impressed by how well written it is! Great job!

    ReplyDelete