Sunday, February 22, 2015

I See Fire (Week 5: Storytelling)

You could hear hooves stomping across the desert trail, leaving a huge cloud of dust behind. The sight of fire made the horses neigh in fear but the messengers relentlessly continued. There was not a moment to lose.

Behind the misty mountains, the sun descended, leaving the sky an eerie red with a sense of foreboding. A grim quietness overshadowed the city of Ayodhya, not a soul in the streets, not even a mouse lingering in the open. There was no dancing, no singing, not even the buzzing of people in the street market. Just a sinister silence haunted the city all the way from the gates to inside the castle walls.

Without any notice, the quiet slowly faded away and a mesh of noises brought to life the scene within the chamber room, the blurred form of a man and woman arguing.

He has to gomy two wishes…. promisedasgldgrlsgafs…”

What was going on?

And then the noise once again dulled as the scene shifted from the chamber room but soon enough sprang forth from a new direction outside the castle walls. Racing towards the entrance and forcing open the castle doors, a herd of elephants charged inside, thrashing against the walls and shattering their tusks.

That’s when the world seemed to crack; the moon had dropped from the sky, demolishing everything in a ripple effect. A high-pitched hum overwhelmed his ears.

Smoke rose from behind the mountains until the fire could be seen poking out from the rim. He could see it crawling down, growing ever near, till the crackling of the flames reached his hearing.

The waters of the ocean could not even consume this fire; the fire instead dried up the ocean, drinking in every last drop till the Earth was left dry and arid.

There, at the edge of this inferno, he saw standing the obscure image of Rama.

Brother!” he called out.

He wanted to run, run away from the flames, away from the city, away from everything, but his feet were glued to the ground. Panic welled in his heart as he tried with all his might to move, the heat inching closer.

Brother! Brother, save me!” he cried.

But Rama turned his head away and flung himself into the blaze.

NOOOO!” he screamed in despair, tears streaming down his face and blurring his vision.

That is when a shadow emerged from the smoke. Rubbing his eyes, he blinked several times till the features of his father, the King, came to view. A sense of relief washed over him.

Father! Father, Rama—“ he spoke, but the ash and smoke he breathed in cut him off.

Yes… Rama…” he heard his father whisper. “Rama's bright soul has left our city... left me... and I no longer have a purpose to continue.”

Father,” he coughed out, fighting for breath. “Father, what are you saying?”

Dasaratha’s legs gave out and his body hit the ground with a loud thud, leaving Bharata screaming awake to his brother Shatrughna shaking him. Beads of sweat ran down his forehead, his hands trembling.

“What is wrong?” Bharata forced himself to ask.


Shatrughna squeezed Bharata’s hands, looking him directly in the eyes. “Messengers have come. From Ayodhya.”

--- --- --- --- ---


Eerie skies of Ayodhya
Source: BBC


Author's Note: This whole scene was drawn out from the passage in the book that spoke of Bharata's nightmare and how anxious he felt. There were only a few short lines that mentioned this moment, specifically saying how in his dreams he saw the shattering of the tusks of his father’s elephants, the moon dropping on the Earth, and the oceans drying up. I just wanted to incorporate those three things and mesh together both reality and his dream in attempt to bring this moment to life and make you feel what Bharata could have felt. He sort of had a feeling of what was happening when he woke up, so I assumed that his dream gave him a sense of what was to come.


 It is really hard to put detail into a scene out of Buck's Ramayana, especially because he himself puts so much detail into everything he writes. However, he didn't really expand too much on this particular moment so I used that as an opportunity to play with it. I didn’t really change anything in the story; everything happened exactly how it did prior to the dream and after the dream. I simply added much more detail to what was going on within the mind of Bharata while he slept.


BibliographyBuck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Khadjia!

    I like the way you opened up the story with action and setting establishment intermeshed. It produces the effect of plunging into something rather than dipping your toes in and slowly wading through. Lots of suspense in the first paragraph as well.

    I would change "The stomping of hooves" to "Stomping hooves" or change the rest of the sentence structure to fit that phrase, because the phrase doesn't really fit with the rest of the sentence. Also, to add a little spice to the first paragraph, I would change "neigh" to "snort with fear," because horses tend to make loud snorting, sort of trumpet-y noises when they're afraid ;) fun fact, lol.

    The whole read is an experience and the setting is highly visible thanks to your quality descriptions. But I do think that it might help the reader understand things if you explain early on who Bharata is and that he is the one whose perspective this is written from.

    Well done! Good vivid imagery and action--way to speak to the senses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave so much life to this story, its incredible! I agree that Buck has put much more detail in his version of the Ramayana, when compared to Narayan's. It has been a while since I have read this part of the epic, I read Buck's version in Week 2, and I almost completely forgot about this part of the story. Since I did not already know every detail of what was going on, the story was completely new to me, and it kept me on the edge of my seat until the passage was over. You did a wonderful job implementing suspense in your story, and keeping your reader interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Khadija! First of all, I wanted to say how confused I was at the beginning of the story. It was different, unlike a lot of other stories I’ve read before. I actually really enjoyed having to read excitingly to continue and figure out what’s going on or what was happening. The way you used imagery in this story was phenomenal. I was able to see every detail of this story in my head. I was glad to see it was only a dream in the end but still a little confused on why exactly Bharata had so much anxiety. All in all, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Khadija! I like how detailed the dream was that Bharata was having. I like that you added that Dasaratha’s legs gave out because I feel like that was a sign of heartbreak for a father. We often hear stories about how people die from having a broken heart and I feel like that was a beautiful depiction in your story. Overall, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Khadija, this is an excellent story! I am so impressed by your descriptions. Such great detail! I also think it's creative how you thought up what Bharata's nightmare would have been like. The writing is super strong, and I could feel Bharata's anxiety just reading about it. I liked that you told it as a dream and revealed the dreamer (Bharata) at the end, as he was waking up. That added suspense. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Khadija,

    I had to come back to your blog and read some more! I liked the first story I was assigned to read from your blog so much that I wanted to come back and see how you were doing…which is still fantastic. I think you’ve got a knack for illustrating your stories. They flow so well. You achieved quite a feat of mixing reality and dream without leaving your audience confused.

    Also, I agree with you about how challenging it is to rewrite stories after reading Buck’s Ramayana due to his use of detail and description.

    Can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Khadija,
    I read the first Story of your Portfolio, which was titled I See Fire. The color scheme and the font go together great and make for easy reading. However, in Intro of you Portfolio maybe you could incorporate a little bit of what each of us are going to be reading so we can have an idea of what we are about to dive into. As for the story I See Fire. I really liked how this story had an eerie feel to it, and it definitely made sense because it was talking about Bharata’s nightmare. You really really made the story come alive and I could really get a sense of how Bharata felt in his dream. Even though Buck didn’t put much detail into this particular scene from his Ramaya I think you were detailed enough. I think when you add detail it makes stories come to life, and that is exactly what is happening in this story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Khadija!

    I really liked the first story in your portfolio! I agree with Kelsey the font goes great with the story and it is also very easy to read. It would be cool if you had a intro that gave us a little information about what each story will be about. You did a fantastic job on this first story! I absolutely loved it! You did an incredible job weaving the details of this story together. You did a great job taking such a vague part in Ramayana and making it your own. Also the eeriness in this story is great! It makes this story even better. I loved all the visual words you used in this story. It felt like I was there watching this story unfold. Also I liked how you made Bharata know, after waking up from this nightmare, that something horrible had happened. I am very excited to read what other stories you will use for your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Khadija, this is such a powerful story with so many descriptions. With all the action and descriptive adjectives you used, you really brought life to this story. I loved how eerie and ominous you made the setting, especially with the knowledge we have of what is to come--the news from Ayodhya. But you told this story in just a wonderful way, weaving in so many descriptions and details. This caught my attention from the very beginning and kept me interested the entire way through. I thought the character development and the setting worked great with this story, and I thought your adaptation was great. I also really liked the title you used for this setting--it gave the eerie feel even before I started reading.

    Overall, great job with this story and I am looking forward to reading more stories from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off, I want to tell you how confused I was at the beginning of the story! I had no idea where the story was going to go but I ended up really enjoying it. You did a great job transitioning from describing the setting of the dream to actually revealing it was Bharatha who was having this horrible nightmare. I mentioned it before in one of your previous storytelling posts, but you are very good with words. I could definitely imagine everything going on in your story exactly how you described it. I thought the fire was a good addition to the dream because it made it so vivid and terrifying.
    I didn’t really see any grammatical or punctuation errors so good job in minimizing those. I would be careful with your use of commas and sentences because some of the sentences towards the beginning of your story seemed close to being run on sentences. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed your story and can’t wait to read the upcoming stories you add to the portfolio! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Khadjia! I really enjoied your story! You did a wonderful job with your use of vivid imagery. You made it easy for me to picture exactly what was happening as I read your story! I like how you used your dialogue to convey a lot of the emotion in your story. The dialogue also worked to show the depth of Rama’s relationship with his father!

    I like that you use short paragraphs. It makes the story flow really nicely and it makes your story easy to read! I also like the layout and design of your blog! You blog is very easy to navigate and the colors are very pleasing to the eye. I especially like that your text is green!

    You did an amazing job with your story and I am excited to read more from you in the coming weeks of class!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Khadija,

    Right off the bat I’m intrigued by your title – I guess the word fire carries strong emotions along with it. I can’t help but imagine the impending horrific event that seems to lurk around every corner. You’ve done a superb job of creating an ominous atmosphere with this.
    Could this possibly be more suspenseful? I think not.
    I think you did a great job of incorporating the details from the book itself into your own story. Your tale itself was so incredibly vivid.
    I thought that you did a fine job of telling it; however, I don’t like mystery/suspense stories like this (Fahrenheit 451, which I found to be somewhat similar to your tale, was an awful read for me). But that doesn’t mean your story wasn’t well written, I simply didn’t take to it.
    Overall, you did a fantastic job of painting a vivid picture of a nightmare. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this story is excellent. I love the way you introduce it by really giving the reader the sense that they are there where it is all happening! At first I thought you were retelling the story of Rama getting exiled, but then BAM there are a bunch of elephants racing through the palace, which did not happen in the original, so I have no idea what story you are telling or how it is going to go, it is very original and keeps the reader on their toes wondering what will happen next. It would be nice to know who the "his" is when it's talking about a high-pitched hum overwhelming his ears, who is the subject of the story here? Where did he come from and where is he at exactly in this scene? It would seem as if he's floating above everything but not actually in the story.

    ReplyDelete